Nov 25, 2009

Walnut & Birds Eye Hall Table No. 1

     Some of you may have read this post on my design blog concerning a budding idea for walnut and maple hall table. For those who have not read the post I encourage you to do so, mainly because I've written it once and don't really feel like doing it again here.
     All caught up? Good. As with most promising designs that one puts down on paper this one was followed by the thought "now what". This post is the first in a series that will follow one answer to that question. I say one answer because once a design is on paper there are a number of roads that can be taken to turn that chicken scratch into a piece of furniture. Option one is to start building. Simple, straight forward and the best option for those who design, build and tweak on the fly. Option two is to develop the drawing further, extrapolating dimensions and creating working drawings in either full or fractional scale. Option three is to turn to Computer Aided Design (CAD) programs to dimension the drawing and create a three dimensional rendering. The forth option is to use one or more of the previous options with the addition of creating a physical model, again in either full or fractional scale.
     For this piece I really needed some interaction, so I went with full scale mock up. The lines, the form and overall proportions had to be just right. I had to have it in front of me to make sure everything "fit" together.
     This is what I came up with, and I think I like it.



     I plan on trying another version of the top that is slightly longer and leaner, but it will have to wait until the regular shop load has cleared a little. I'll be updating as soon as possible, but until then tell me what you think.


1 comment:

Torch02 said...

I like the setup as is and would be weary of trying to make it leaner. Not only would longer/leaner make the drawers from your drawing decorative rather than useful, it might start to look filmsy if you get too long.